Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Yellow Rose of Texas

A friend told me I forgot one flag in my reader tribute article last week. When I saw what he meant, I burst out laughing. Yes, Phil, while I did recognize many visitors from foreign nations from within the Americas, such as Brazil, I did forget Texas!!


I know it's the place of your pride & joy. I know my friend, Cliff, from Austin, regularly reads my articles.

Everyone should know I support the University of Texas, as they pursue the NCAA national football championship title, when they meet up with Alabama this coming Thursday.

Now nothing against the Crimson Tide, but I'm from the Big 12, and the Nebraska Cornhuskers' #1 fan. No, we couldn't defeat Texas in the Big 12 championship game last month, but save for the very last second, the Huskers had that game won!

Now if Texas but scores at least four points against Alabama, the Big Red will capture the #1 standing as best college defense (based on total points allowed), overtaking Alabama--and we look forward to the Huskers being back in the spotlight for a national championship bid next season.

We have five titles: 1970 & 1971, when I attended both at the Orange Bowl in Miami, being a sousaphone player in the Nebraska Cornhusker Marching Band. Titles were also captured in 1994, 1995 and 1997.

Our 1971 title came after defeating Bear Bryant's Alabama Crimson Tide, 38-6. Our conference, then the Big 8, was so dominant in college football that season, that the AP rankings ended with Nebraska #1, arch-rival Oklahoma Sooners #2 and the Colorado Buffaloes #3.

In a humble bit of trivia, your little tuba player's picture was captured within the pages of this Sports Illustrated issue.


Recently, blogger Mark Perry, professor of economics & finance at the University of Michigan, who hosts the outstanding Carpe Diem web site, compared the economic output of all 50 states to various countries around the globe.

Based on 2006 US Gross Domestic Product (GDP) output of $14 trillion, he illustrated via map just how sizable & blessed we are. (Click if you wish to enlarge.)


Notice, Phil, that Texas matches up well with the nation of Brazil. So I believe I must apologize for my slight of your great state!

Perhaps I can make it up to you, by featuring the beauties of Texas in your state song, The Yellow Rose of Texas.


No comments:

Post a Comment